We encourage our patients to attend examinations and provide professional cleaning and fluoride treatments if necessary, to maintain your healthy teeth. These appointments occur approximately every 6 months. The interval can vary depending on risk factors. We call this visit ‘Active Maintenance’.
What is Active Maintenance?
Active Maintenance involves attending regular examination appointments with your dentist combined with professional scaling and cleaning with our hygienist. People join our active maintenance program to actively maintain their teeth and gums. If we do not actively maintain, even with good home hygiene there will be a gradual deterioration of the mouth.
This occurs due to the build up of deposits of hardened plaque which trap bacteria around the teeth causing chronic inflammation and resulting in bone loss.
Gum disease, also known as Periodontal Disease, is the number 1 cause of tooth loss in adults. It affects 1 in 4 adults. That’s 25% of people!
Recent studies have shown that unhealthy gums have been linked to an unhealthy body – diseases such as:
- Heart disease
- Respiratory infections (especially in the elderly)
- Premature and low birth weight babies
- Dementia and more
Gum disease and decay can be prevented by:
- Excellent home hygiene.
- A good diet.
- Using a fluoride toothpaste.
- Regular scaling and customised professional oral hygiene education.
- Smoking can also result in more incidence of gum disease.
Quit smoking now to save your gums, reduce staining and discolouration. Improve your breathing and reduce your risk of developing oral cancers.
3 simple tips for active maintenance:
- Monitor your oral health regularly at dental appointments.
- Identify risk factors – age, smoking, diabetes, lifestyle factors.
- Treat disease, reduce risk factors where possible and maintain health.
Advanced or aggressive gum disease may require referral to a periodontist – a specialist in treating gum disease. We are happy to introduce you to a periodontist (usually in Toowoomba or Brisbane) from our network of specialists to help save your teeth if necessary.